Monday, April 05, 2010

Dancing violets

In the summer of 2002, I did a few songs for an exhibition of a very fine Hungarian painter Mária Jeremiás, in a beautiful church in Budapest. (How wonderful is that: to have beautiful paintings and songs in a sacred place?) These words came into my mind in the early spring next year, on my way back to Budapest from Vienna, while I was looking at the still snowy scene from a bus.
Unfortunately, I lost contact with the lady and can't find her, so I can't show you her delicate painting...

DANCING VIOLETS
(for a painting of Mária Jeremiás)

Have you ever seen violets when they dance?

As I look out of my window,
Trees are heavy from silver snow,
The horizon is a big white pillow.
But spring is coming soon, a new chance,
And they will dance, the violets.

They turn, jump, wave, bend,
Spread happiness in the forest,
With green, fragile, light legs,
Brighten up the darkest night
When they dance, the violets.

They invite the sun shining, rainbow smiling,
Little girls singing, little boys laughing,
And all the world playing.
With their velvet blossom heads,
When they dance, the violets.


Violets carpet. Photo: Roberto Fontana
Happy Easter everyone!

--
Text: Andrea Gerak
Photo: Violets carpet, by Roberto Fontana

Also in Andrea's Blog

Share/Bookmark

No comments: